The Title Of This Article Has Been Banned.

Compilation of banned books from the CCA High Schools library.

Lili Nandell, Reporter

There’s a common saying that when uneducated about something, history will repeat itself. That can be seen today with the new uprising in book banning. Book banning is the removal of a book due to a person or group opposing its contents. With many of the new bills that are edging on anti-existing, there is a slew of bans on specific books. There seems to be a very obvious pattern.

What books are being banned? The books that are being banned all have a “controversial” themes including: LGBTQ+, empowering women, authors of color, children’s books condoning “bad behavior”, and themes opposing cristian beliefs/portrayal of other religions. Some other topics that have gotten books banned are race, slavery, the world wars, violence, very mild horror, and witchcraft. Even many children’s books such as Hop on Pop by Dr Seuss and Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstien. Books are a key resource to education across the board. This is why banning them is such a big issue. Banning these books can stunt education in certain categories, making people ignorant in many cases. CCA english teacher, Jesi Morris, also brought up the point: 

In the case of books that use terms that are no longer appropriate or acceptable, there are important historical lessons to be learned about the way people were treated in the past.” She continued, “We need to learn those lessons so that we never treat people that way again.”

In the case of agreeing or disagreeing with a book, there’s always something to be learned. Whether it reinforces and provides support to an opinion (which can come from agreeing or disagreeing), or simply explains or expands on a new topic. Recently, a book was banned as well as removed from the CCA classrooms. In Our Mothers House by Patricia Polacco portrays a family with two moms, and their family’s struggle for acceptance in the neighborhood. For teaching acceptance of differences, it was banned. That was the reason alone. 

“Every student should be able to find a book that reflects that student. Additionally, students should be able to use books as a window into new worlds and ways of life.” stated Christine Berlin, librarian at CCA High School. “Of course, every family has a right to choose whether or not that book is right for them. But just because it is not right for you or your family, does not mean it is not right for someone else.”

American writer Isaac Asimov once said “Any book worth banning is a book worth reading.” Often banned books hold valuable information that is most likely being withheld due to what others think everyone should believe. By reading banned books, independent beliefs can be formed. The Giver by Lois Lowry, another banned book, represents this in a way, where all things are controlled carefully. Including the information citizens have access to. Although today’s society is not to that extreme, it still feels somewhat dystopian. People should be  encouraged to check out or buy “banned” books, or at the very least leave the books available for those who would like to read them. Many recommended classics from older curriculums such as To Kill a Mockingbird and Animal Farm, both of which present ideas that should be talked about. 

Removing vital information from anyone’s access creates misinformation from which many problems stem from. Independent thought is essentially eradicated when information is withheld, and books are a big source of that information. By reading banned books, it’s possible to stay educated, and form independent opinions. Stay educated and read banned books!