The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Mental Health in CCA

Mental Health Survey in CCA.
Mental Health Survey in CCA.

What Is Mental Health?

Mental Health is a struggle for all ages. Especially younger kids struggling with social and educational issues. An overlaying pile of work adds stress, causing common disorders such as depression or anxiety. As a person develops, these emotions can get frustrating or exhausting and catch you off guard when it comes to learning. Many other leading causes can cause mental health, it can be hereditary, influenced by bullying (online and in person), and can be stress-induced. It’s best to bring awareness to this mental disorder and reduce the stigma around not speaking up.

Mental Health in School.

Kids in school are constantly being thrown work and forced to get it done in limited time. According to camh.ca, “Long-term stress increases the risk of mental health problems such as anxiety and depression, substance use problems, sleep problems, pain, and bodily complaints such as muscle tension,” This can cause students to stop reaching max performances during school leading to lower graduation rates to be lower because kids give up. Kids are also put in a position to be around other students, which can be good or bad. The good can come from socialization and making friends but it has its downs. Big groups of students can lead to bullying and can be hard on students. Bullying can carry on at home and online, which can be draining. 

What can you do?

Preventing these problems can be hard, but it is possible. When you see someone alone go visit them, say something, and make a friend. You can also reach out if you feel alone or isolated. The school could also make some changes for students, two students were anonymously asked the same question, “What could schools do to help mental health in students?”. Student 1 said, “I think it helps when teachers are trained with mental health issues and know the basics of them, And allowing extensions to work so students aren’t so stressed. Allowing breaks throughout classes and having students get away from the work for a little bit. And actually talking about mental health and not pushing it aside” Anonymous student 2 said, “ We should make school a safer place for people to be able to express how they’re feeling and make sure they feel heard and cared for.”