Sitting or Standing? Controversy over the Pledge of Allegiance at the CCAHS

Taylor Dolezal, Social Media Editor

In Iowa a bill was passed in late 2021, requiring schools to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in grades 1-12. There are various ways students responded to this law being implanted into their everyday routines. Some students were joyous and said it should have been like this all along. Whilst others thought it was absurd and conflicted with their personal beliefs. These are some responses students from Clear Creek Amana stated about the law. 

MJ Hosler is a current sophomore at CCAHS, who reiterated his thoughts and opinions about the pledge and why he sits. “Only within the last couple of years, I have started sitting,” Hosler states, “I am not going to stand for the pledge until this country changes”. He continues talking about his struggles as a queer person, “Living in this country as a queer person with a uterus, the country does not respect me.. the flag does not respect me… So why should I have to respect the flag or country?” Hosler said, discussing the recurring issues he and other LGBTQ+ people have experienced. He goes on to mention the pledge, “The fact that the pledge mentions god, feels wrong to me because I do not believe in god so why should I stand for something I don’t believe in?” Hosler stated, talking about his beliefs and why he sits.

Junior Janiyah Rush talks about the issue of standing for the flag whilst racism is still apparent in America, “I as a black person, will not stand for the flag while there is still racism going on. Once that is gone and addressed then maybe I will stand for the flag”. Rush also sympathizes with veterans but stays true to her beliefs, “I understand that people have died for this country, I respect that. Although there is still racism going on and I will not stand for something that doesn’t advocate for me”. Rush, and along with many other students feel this way about the pledge of allegiance. 

Tyler Blauvelt, a new junior at CCAHS states his opinion about sitting for the pledge, “I don’t believe that the pledge is a proper representation of the status of our country right now,” Blauvelt continues, “For example there is such harsh treatment to minorities and women who should be treated equally but aren’t.” He recollects his thoughts and resumes, “In my opinion it doesn’t warrant it to be stood for with all these issues going on.” Blauvelt concludes with this last statement, “I wish there were ways to educate these people and open their mind about these issues.” 

Jaelynn Osborn, a sophomore at CCAHS, goes for a different approach and communicates why she stands for the Pledge of Allegiance, “The flag represents America, there are people who have died for it. I am not going to sit down and cause disrespect to them or their families,” She expresses that sitting for the pledge is disrespectful, “I can’t stop people from sitting, but clearly they are showing disrespect.” Osborn claims to be born in a military family and reveals the importance of standing in her household, “If I were to sit down, my family would take as disrespect towards them. Every morning we will stand for the flag because we know our family has been in war,” She voices the importance of the pledge to her and her family. Osborn tells it would be disrespectful to her family to not stand, “Us standing shows that we are here for America and we will stand by the flag no matter what happens and is just showing respect to those who have died for this country.” 

All students will vary in their beliefs for why they sit or stand. No opinion is incorrect even though it may be controversial. Let the thoughts of these students sink in and rethink your opinion on this hot topic. Why do you stand or sit for the Pledge of Allegiance?