Easy and Relaxing personal fitness at CCAHS

Werkie Larry

Personal fitness students at CCAHS playing basket ball with PE teacher Brandon Clubb

Werkie Larry, Reporter

“Personal Fitness is one’s ability to execute daily activities with optimal performance, endurance, and strength with the management of disease, fatigue, and stress and reduced sedentary behavior,” says Medical News Today. 

The class setup at Clear Creek Amana High School on normal days (Monday – Wednesday) starts with a free time warm-up for 5-10 minutes, where students can get equipment out, or simply walk to get warmed-up.  After that the students choose a workout that  lasts 15-20 minutes. 

The workouts range from yoga, workout videos, circuit stations, step routines, and fitness bars.  The students usually work out for 20-30 minutes, rotating through different spots that include: seated bikes, elliptical machines, pedal bikes or walking the hallway, and treadmills. Once a week (Thursday or Friday) students are required to wear heart rate monitors to determine their grade for that day. They get 1/2 point for every minute in their target heart rate zone, and their goal is 30 minutes (15 point total). All the students then meet at the auxiliary gym. 

There are about  20-25 students in the Personal Fitness class. Cam Stockman, Clear Creek Amana High School Personal Fitness teacher, said the students favorite part is, “Probably when I tell them we are done for the day. 🙂  But seriously…I think they do a good job with the step routines, and a lot of them like our yoga/stretching, because it is easier or relaxing.” 

The reason Cam Stockman thinks students should join Personal Fitness is because it is a good choice for students who don’t necessarily want to lift weights, or play games in the traditional PE format.  This gives them the opportunity to improve their overall health and fitness, with a variety of exercises and movements.