CCA marching band is back!

CCAHS marching band back at it in 2021!

CCAHS marching band back at it in 2021!

Ava Weatherford, Reporter

On September 3rd, the CCAHS marching band played their first halftime performance of the season. While only the first song was marched, it was impressive when nearly 60% of the students in the band are freshmen. The next game on the 10th saw the first two songs marched, and all three songs were marched at the Homecoming Game on the 24th.

It has been difficult to start a marching band this year when they were not able to perform last year. Drum major Audrey Rice commented, “It’s been tricky because we have so many new people so we’ve been having to take things a little bit slower, but…I am grateful that we could have a marching season this year.” Emily Burnacki also added, “Having marching band this year…was a rejuvenating feeling. Being on the field marching and playing music is like a jumpstart to the band family bond.”

This family bond was something that many musicians involved mentioned. Freshman Shelby Heisler said, “I like marching band because everyone is so nice, and it’s a lot of fun…Everyone is so close, we’re like a little band family.” Fellow freshman Aubrey Romero added, “I originally did not want to do marching band, I was planning on quitting…But, now it is the best part of my year so far.” 

This bond may be due in part to how much time the band spends working to memorize all the music and movements to put on a show at the football game. They play the national anthem and the school song before the game, and play three songs during halftime, all surrounding the theme of “Play.” This is why you might see the color guard in bright uniforms and the band skipping around out on the field. 

It takes a lot to prepare for the season. The marching band director John Smith said, “There are a lot of moving parts to put on a great show.” In January the directors pick out music, and then they write the drill over the summer. At the beginning of August, the band starts practicing.

In addition to their performances, they also had their first competition on the 25th at Linn-Mar. Before the competition, Mr. Smith said, “We generally place in the top three but every year is different.  I have high hopes for this year’s group. They are ahead of schedule in learning the show and are working hard every day.” The group met expectations, winning best drum majors and placing second out of eleven 3A bands.

The whole band community has high hopes for the entire season. Rice said, “We’ve been working so hard, and so I’m just excited for when everything is finished and perfected!”

And indeed this marching band season looks to be one of the best.