When Tik Tok turns terrifying

More than half of students sitting in fear while trying to not focus on the threats

Isabelle Mooney, reporter

When you think of TikTok, you think of dancing, singing, art, or the top song trending at the moment. On Thursday, December 16, however, TikTok went from a happy state to one of fear, because there was an alleged post prompting “American School Shooting Day.” The posts warn about the possibility of nationwide shootings or bomb threats associated with this day.  

Due to the power of social media, this post traveled across the nation in a matter of hours. Schools and parents around the nation went into a position of fear, panic, and confusion. Some schools felt forced to add more law enforcement or even canceled classes; some students stayed home. Some parents felt safer pulling their kids out of school for the day. On the day of the threat families across the district received a letter informing them of this threat.

At CCAHS there has been a chill in the air, with around 40% of students absent from school, 33% more than usual. Classrooms have been eerie and empty, with a tense atmosphere. Sarah Andrews, a math teacher, had 16 out of 28 students in her first block class. Almost half of her students were absent. Throughout the day there were administrators, teachers, and even a sheriff’s deputy patrolling the halls this morning ensuring the school maintained its maximum safety.  The school was in close contact with the local police in case there was an incident to occur.

Interim Superintendent Joe Brown disclosed that he, himself, has unfortunately experienced a school shooting in the past. This happened when he was a principal at Le Sueur Henderson school district in Minnesota. For Brown, having that experience broadened his realization of how school shootings can affect people. When Brown heard about the Tik Tok post, he was naturally concerned, but not too sure there was anything going to happen. He stated that he would be more worried an incident is going to happen when there’s nothing to suspect. 

CCAHS Dean of students, Ryan Paulson, stated, “I have faith in our students to act responsibly.” The administration felt there was nothing specific to worry about on that day, and that even if something were to occur, the school would be in close contact with the police. 

Teacher and mom, Teri Schultejans didn’t send her children to school; she had family that was worried and wanted them to stay home. Schultejans understood and agreed to let them stay home. Schultejans proceeded to go throughout her day feeling safe at school. Schultejans, along with many people at CCAHS, believes that social media shouldn’t be able to control a nation like that. 

Despite the fact that it was an alleged post, there was significant concern around the nation, and TikTok is still trying to track down the original post claiming the idea of “National School Shooting Day.” The alleged video put millions of people in high alert, increasing anxiety and fear.