Upcoming Activities at CCAHS

As fall settles in, many activities such as football, volleyball, and marching band are coming to an end. But with this change comes a number of new activities for students to get involved in. 

Girl’s basketball had a pre-season meeting on the 18th of October to prepare for the challenging season ahead. Their first game is on Tuesday, November 23rd where they will host West Delaware at CCA. The basketball team works hard to get better as a team and as individuals, and have a great season ahead of them.

Along with girl’s basketball, wrestling with have their first meet on Tuesday, November 30th hosting Alburnett and Mediapolis. When I asked the athletics director, Kurt Ronnfeldt what students can expect from sports, he told me, “They will work hard, be held to high expectations, and learn the game or sport.  All kids will be given an opportunity to earn playing time or game/match/meet opportunities.  It is great to get involved!”

Win With Wellness also met on October 18th. Win with Wellness is a chapter of Iowa Students for Tobacco Education and Prevention. They plan to put together a few activities to raise awareness about the risks of tobacco and vaping. The week of October 25th was Red Ribbon Week where the group put messages on the sidewalk and the fence. The WWW sponsor, Cam Stockman, explained the following events, “We will do a ‘Knock-Out’ tobacco event during basketball season, as well as help pick up trash on Highway 6 for Earth Day in April.” They meet once a month from October to March.

Auditions for Speech were on October 19th and 21st. Speech is divided into two seasons; large group and individual. Each of the seasons perform in multiple competitions. One of the teachers who organizes Speech, Jacob Halter, said, The speech team is divided into smaller groups each preparing performances in different categories – ensemble acting, musical theater, mime, short film, etc…” Those who join Speech will be a part of a community where they are able to express themselves and grow their confidence.

CCA has many activities to help students find their passion and a community to be a part of.