The Student News Site of Clear Creek Amana High School

Leaving the classroom just to jump right back in

April 9, 2021

As soon as Ashlyn Pompo graduates from CCAHS this spring, she’ll be ready to get back into the classroom in more ways than one. Pompo, a current member of the yearbook staff and a basketball player at CCAHS, will be going to the University of Northern Iowa to study pre-education. 

I am really passionate about helping people as much as I can and that’s why I’m wanting to go into pre-education,” commented Pompo. “I want to be able to help kids reach their goals and go as far as possible.”

Pompo has made plenty of memories at CCA but believes that she is ready for the next chapter in her life and is prepared to make her own decisions. She will miss all of the staff and students as well the friends she has made throughout her four years. 

“I will for sure miss some of the teachers who have helped me through high school such as Matt Trosky,” said Pompo, Trosky teaches some of the social studies courses at CCAHS as well as runs the student council. 

“Trosky was honestly such an enjoyable teacher to have, he always made class fun and always knew how to help his students. Even outside of class Trosky was always there for me and other students. I loved going into his room in the mornings with my friends and just chatting.”

Pompo accredits most of her motivation to her mother, Heather Pompo, who has had a huge influence on her life.

“She is always pushing me to do my best and supports me through everything I do. She is also one of the sweetest people I know and has shown me how to care for others, how to never look back on the past, and to just keep moving forward.”

— Ashlyn Pompo

Although nervous, Pompo is excited to be going away from home. She also plans to attend UNI with one of her closest friends, Whitney Traetow, another CCA senior graduating this spring. “I’m also excited to learn something I know I will actually enjoy. The fact that I get to be going on that adventure with one of my best friends, Whitney Traetow makes it even better,” explained Pompo. 

From the lessons to memories Pompo has learned and made in high school, she offers one piece of advice to her younger classmates and peers. “I’ve learned to just be you. Honestly no one really cares about what you are doing or if you screw up, so just live in the moment,” Pompo remarked. “As a freshman I was so quiet and worried about every little thing but throughout high school have learned to open up and just be myself.”