The Student News Site of Clear Creek Amana High School

ANTI-GUN CONTROL: SECOND AMENDMENT

March 30, 2021

Many Anti-gun controlists believe the Second Amendment from the Constitution of The United States of America protects their right to own a firearm. It is stated in the Constitution that “The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Numerous people fear that by instituting gun control laws there will be a violation of their rights. A large number of U.S citizens have voiced their viewpoint that by passing gun control laws the government would essentially be taking away the citizens’ rights to own a firearm.

One individual at CCA named Marcus Coleman felt strongly about this topic and articulated, “I think that guns should not be banned. Our Founding Fathers put their lives on the line so that we could bear arms. So I think banning them would be stupid. I think that people should have the right to defend themselves. In the UK people can get in trouble for defending themselves to the point where in some cases the attacker gets more defense than the victim. I hope this country never ends up like that because it would be ridiculous. I think that guns should be controlled to a certain point; like a criminal of a more serious accusation should not be sold a gun. Guns are not toys and should be treated with great respect and care. A first-time gun owner should know all of the basics before receiving their firearm.”

Many think it isn’t worth the risk of making themselves vulnerable without the protection of a firearm. After all, many keep a gun on hand to protect against intruders or any kind of threatening presence. Of course, there is law enforcement, but others argue that the police might take too long to respond, and by then it might be too late. By having a firearm, owners feel safer at home knowing they can defend themselves.