CCA Spring Musical

Ava Weatherford

A picture of the play script written by Sheri and Bill Steinkellner

Ava Weatherford, Reporter

Every year CCA high school produces the Spring Musical. The pandemic during the last couple of years has interfered with the production of the musical, but this year is expected to be a showstopper, with new and old cast members, backstage crew, and knowledgeable teachers all excited and dedicated to the production of the musical.

This year’s musical is“Sister Act” with Teagen Bollers as the main character; Deloris. There are many new and returning students both backstage and in the cast. 

Teachers at CCA helping with the musical are excited for this year. Tracy Williams commented on this, “I am passionate about musicals, so it is awesome that I get to direct one each year.  I love seeing how each cast member starts from just learning the role to really embracing the role.” 

Producer Tom Milligan added, “I’ve been directing shows at CCA for 7 years so this will be my 14th show. I have a long theater background so when this opportunity to direct at CCA came up I took it.” 

This year Milligan is taking a different role in the musical, “I always direct and do the tech work for the fall play and also did the same for the musical for my first 2 years. After that we decided to bring Deb Kennedy on board to direct the staging of the show while Tracy Williams does the music. That way I could focus on the technical side of the show, set, props, lights and sound.”

Senior Madeline Downes, is stage manager this year. She talked about why she chose to take a vital role in producing the musical. 

“I love being backstage and working with sound and props. When Tom asked me if I wanted to be stage manager it was a no-brainer for me. I have been working up to this moment for 3 years.” 

Putting together the musical is a lot of work. Madeline Downes added, “It takes lots and lots of practice, as a stage manager you have to go to every practice and write down notes just in case the actors or directors forget their script.”

But the work is all worth it for the fun and laughter that comes from being able to put together a musical and perform for CCA. It gives students a chance to pursue careers in fine arts and do something they enjoy. 

You can see the musical on April 21 and 22 at 7:00pm. April 23 will perform at 2:00pm and 7:00pm.