Farewell 2021 Marching Band Season

Farewell 2021 Marching Band Season

Anisa Rachman, Editor

“When they called Clear Creek Amana for the placements, we were all in shock… Everyone was just so happy,” said freshman James Cavanary.

After receiving best drumline, winning first place in 3A, and taking Grand Champion at the Muscatine competition, this year’s marching band season closed with a sensational win. When the band took a break from marching last year because of the fast-spreading COVID-19, they were uncertain about how this year would end up. But through hard work and dedication during hours of rehearsals, they made a great, memorable comeback. 

Starting the season off this year, the CCAHS band had around 73 committed members with nearly two-thirds of that group having never marched before. With so many new marchers in the group, directors and returning members didn’t expect this year to be an easy one. 

The newest CCA co-band director, Christopher Copeland, commented, “The marching band season exceeded expectations…the best part is, the future is incredibly bright given how young our band is.”

For a new marching band member, learning to march and play for the first time is nerve-racking. According to Cavanary, “You have to have a lot of skill and be very precise in how you move. Every little detail matters, making it very strenuous. But at the end of the day, it pays off to learn how to march.”

Nevertheless, at the end of the season, practically all of the freshmen and sophomores said that once they got the hang of it, it wasn’t as complex as they had originally thought. 

During the marching season, Cavanary played the tenor drum quads which weighed approximately 45 pounds. “I thought, ‘How am I going to move?’ things like that just ran through my head. But looking back on it, I realize it is pretty easy for me.”

After changing schools this year and not having the chance to learn the basics of marching at band camp as other band members did, Sophomore Sophia Sedlacek was full of jitters and nervousness at the start of school.

“My first impression of marching band was a significant amount of worry because everyone else had previously learned how to march, and I was completely new to it.” However, because Sedlacek knew most of the students had never marched in a show before either, she knew it wouldn’t be too stressful. Sedlacek continued. “Now, I love marching band because I know how fun of an experience it is, and I’m really excited for next year’s season.”

Choosing only one part of the show as a favorite is difficult for both those who performed the show and those who had the chance to watch it. For Senior Elizabeth Schultz, the detail and variety in this year’s show is what made it so excellent. 

“My favorite part about this year’s show was our growth as a band, musical variety, visuals, and props. In the past marching band shows I have been in, there were fewer props and not as many instrumental features.” 

An example of the variation in this year’s display was the sextet solo during the first song which featured an oboe, saxophone, clarinet, bass clarinet, flute, and bassoon. Schultz added, “The overall musical and performance progress that our band has made this year makes every single member proud to be in the Clipper Marching Band.”

John Smith, a co-director of this year’s show, thought it was great that the band was having fun adding little details into the show; however, there wasn’t a part of the show that he favored over another. 

Smith stated, “The band not only worked hard to perfect all the elements of the show but they really bonded as a group which is the key to success.  We can always improve on marching & music, that is just a constant in band, but the students’ work ethic this year was one of the best I have ever seen.”

Saying goodbye to the marching band season until next year is difficult for many, but as a senior, knowing it will be the last time you’ll march for the high school band is a heart-wrenching feeling. 

“I will miss the family, bonding, and leadership aspect of marching band the most,” Schultz voiced. “Each and every single member of the Clipper Marching Band plays a unique role in creating our show. Without the hard work and dedication of every section, our marching band would not be where it is today. As clarinet section leader, it has been an honor to have helped the section create a family bond that all of us will remember.”

To any future Clipper marching band members, Schultz offers this advice: “Make every moment count, stay positive, always practice how you will perform, and give 100% effort. All of the individual and group practicing will pay off in the end and you will thank yourself for staying dedicated in the Clipper Marching Band. If you are ever considering quitting, stick it out and continue to work even harder.”